Thursday, January 16, 2003

Sheryl Crow

I have given Andrew Sullivan a rough time in these pages. He went through a period where his fixation on his sexuality made his blog a little tedious. I removed him from from my blogroll at that time. He's back up there now. His piece in Salon on Sheryl Crow's meanderings against the war-to-come are right on point. Read the whole thing, but I must quote a little bit of it:
Doesn't it sometimes get a tad bit embarrassing being on the left these days? I'm not talking about legitimate left-liberal beliefs - that income inequality is wrong, that corporations are evil, that governments are better judges than individuals about what's good for the world, etc etc. I'm talking about the way in which otherwise legitimate left-wing causes tend to get embraced by, well, the intellectually challenged. I mean actors and celebrities and pop stars and others not exactly known for being the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree - almost all of whom seem to drift into the camp of the knee-jerk left. I mean people like Barbra Streisand, who doesn't know the difference between Iraq and Iran, and who at this point must have done more to discredit Hollywood liberals than an entire bookshelf of National Reviews. I mean Sean Penn, another man who just helped Bush win more support for war. I mean, well, Sheryl Crow.
Read the whole thing. And read Andrew's blog. Lucky for me, i live on the West Coast these days. I get to read him every night, just before I go to bed. With my wife.